Crusin' through life

Crusin' through life will be a little about my life, and a little about my current passion, my 2005 PT Cruiser convertible. PT fans, as well as car fans in general are encouraged to contribute!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tucson, Arizona, United States

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Moving to Tucson, Final Day

Map - day four
Took A Left Turn At Albuquerque
Well today is the final day of my big move to Tucson. I am starting to feel the effects of the late June heat that is part of the deal when you move to the desert. I know it will be too hot for top down driving by lunch time so I make sure to at least start out the days travel with the sun on my shoulders.

New Mexico scenery
The scenery is now completely different from the Midwestern tall green grasses and filled out oak and maple trees. The cool greens have gradually morphed into warm earth tones of yellows, blue-greens, browns. The gray skies have been replaced by a bright blue canvas that compliments nicely the desert earth tones.

Part of the trip from Albuquerque to Tucson requires that I exit the freeway for about a 20 mile stretch on a freshly blacktopped two lane road. The isolation from the freeway traffic adds to the peacefulness of the journey.

As I cruise along, I notice how remarkably free I am from the aches and pains you might expect from driving for four days straight in a car... any car. The comfortable ride has always been one of the reasons I love the PT Cruiser, but still comfortable after four days on the road is pretty amazing.

Forest fire 1
Forest fire 2
Soon enough I am on I-10, the last leg of the journey. As I get closer to Tucson I notice white smoke coming from the mountain range on the right. I learn later that there are 7 forest fires blazing just east of Tucson. The good news is the news is reporting the fires are acting much like a prescribed burn, getting rid of thick brush.

Speaking of prescribed burns, I need two more fill ups to complete the journey. At the first stop in Hatch, New Mexico it takes 10.38 gallons after driving 223.4 miles for 21.5 miles per gallon. The second stop is after 183.3 miles and takes 7.818 gallons for 23.44 miles per gallon.

Totals for the entire trip: 88.328 gallons of premium unleaded took me 1894.9 miles for a total mpg of 22.47.

Final destination
Finally I arrive at my hosts home. It still seems a little surreal as I unload my stuff from Petey. After the initial hellos, I talk my host into a quiet evening with a glass of wine and a rented movie. It's the perfect ending for an excellent adventure.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heidi R. said...

Glad you finally made it! Now hurry up and find your own place so I can visit this winter. :)

PS - if you're going to live in the desert, you have to learn how to spell it - one 's' only. :)

7:33 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

What I meant to say was the desert experience was as sweet as dessert. Umm, yeah, that's it. :)

Thanks, Heidi.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home