Crusin' through life

Crusin' through life will be a little about my life, and a little about my current passion, my 2005 PT Cruiser convertible. PT fans, as well as car fans in general are encouraged to contribute!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tucson, Arizona, United States

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Moving to Tucson, Day 1

It Was A Warm And Sprinkly Day
That's how I'll remember my last day as a Michigan native. It was 77 degrees and a light sprinkle fell on my windshield. Diamonds on my windshield as Tom Waits puts it.

It is of course a strange feeling knowing I won't be seeing these familiar sights again for a long long while. I was a little sad, but not nearly as bummed as I thought I might be. I'm sure it's tempered by the exciting new life that lay ahead of me as I move to Tucson. Goodbye Michigan winters!!! Goodbye scraping ice from your windshield as arctic air finds every crevice in your clothing! Goodbye ice covered roads! And maybe most importantly, goodbye to only four months of top-down weather!

Me and Petey
The photo above was taken the day before I left. See how bright and shiny Petey and I look? It will be interesting to see how we look after four days on the road.


Route for day one
Here is the route for my first day of travel. I've divided up the trip into a four day journey. Day one takes me just past St. Louis, Missouri.

My first stop for gas is at Coal City, Illinois. Wow, gas is only $4.19 a gallon for premium! Oh crap, it's got 10% ethanol in it! That's like getting a deal on a fine wine only to find out it's been watered down. Ok, that's kind of a lame analogy but it's early here in Missouri.

The first fill up is at 237 miles and takes exactly 10 gallons. I like math when it's easy. That makes 23.7 miles to the gallon.

The second fill up is in Hamel, Illinois. The price here is $4.49 per gallon. I've driven an additional 206 miles and it takes 9.12 gallons to fill up. That's 22.58 miles to the gallon. As all PT Cruiser owners have discovered, the miles per gallon figure needs to be averaged out over four or five tanks to get a meaningful figure.

Illinois Sky

Here is a photo of the sky somewhere in Illinois. As you can see, the sky has cleared a bit and allows me to drive with the top down.

I love clouds like this. The panoramic beauty and the vast perspective make you think the sky goes on forever. Reminds me of limitless possibilities.

What a great day for a drive.

St. Louis arch
Here is a photo of the St. Louis arch. Either that or a UFO. I'm not quite sure.

My day ends at a Ramada Inn in Arnold, MO. As comfortable as Petey is, after a long day on the road a nice non-mobile bed feels great.

Time for supper (dinner for you non-midwesterners) and a good nights sleep.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Silvianne T. Steinbach said...

LOVE those clouds! Drive safe ;~)

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I-55 is one of the most boring highways of the interstate system; glad you made it through without falling asleep!

Always nice to see the Arch, if I had known you were stopping in STL, I should have recommended some places to stop and eat. Another time...

Continued safe travels.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home