Crusin' through life

Crusin' through life will be a little about my life, and a little about my current passion, my 2005 PT Cruiser convertible. PT fans, as well as car fans in general are encouraged to contribute!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tucson, Arizona, United States

Monday, June 23, 2008

Moving to Tucson, Day 2

Deja Vu All Over Again
Today the day started out almost exactly as it did when I left Michigan. Temperatures around 71 degrees and rainy. Fortunately by the time I stopped for lunch the sun was out and the top came down.


Today's trip takes me from Missouri to Oklahoma. One of the things I am noticing is how similar the summer scenery is in the Midwest. Trees and vegetation all look the same, and when you toss in exit signs that all advertise Chilli's, McDonald's, Cracker Barrel and Burger King it all begins to feel like I'm on some non-stop treadmill of middle America.

Today's two stops to refuel were at 228 miles for 10.67 gallons at $4.02 per gallon in Marshfield, MO and again 221 miles later for 11.64 gallons at $4.03 per gallon somewhere on the Oklahoma toll road. That works out to be 21.4 and 18.98 miles per gallon respectively.



Here's a photo that finally shows a little scenic variety. We don't have roads cut out of the side of a mountain in Michigan. Adds a nice contrast to the lush green trees and soft skies, don't you think?

I always thought that Michigan had tons of trees, and they do. You don't have to drive very far away from any city to find yourself in the middle of a forest. But Oklahoma may have it beat. It was trees as far as the eye could see for most of the day here.

Today's Fun Fact
Did you know that unmarked police cars in Oklahoma City include the Dodge Challenger? Neither did I. As I was driving on a four lane freeway on a Sunday afternoon I came upon about 12 cars all grouped together and driving much slower than the traffic flow had been up until that time. This is usually a good indicator of a police car in the mix but as I was searching for my exit I didn't think about that. Not that it would have done me any good. The car was totally indistinguishable from a regular Challenger. No markings at all of course, and the lights were hidden behind the front grill and on the front of the outside mirrors.

Cars grouped together like that is a traffic hazard I like to avoid so I quickly zipped around them, got into the center lane and continued my search for my exit. I noticed a Dodge Challenger zipping around them too. My first thought was: "Cool car." (I have a thing for Dodge muscle cars.) But when the flashing lights came on my mood changed from admiration to disappointment. A cool muscle car used as a cop car? That's just not fair! I rolled down my window as the officer approached. "Nice police car." I said. The officer smiled.

Did you ever notice how police officers always say "I'm going to do you a favor." right before they issue you a ticket? It's like the oxymoron of law enforcement. Please stop doing that. I'm sure it's to soften the blow of getting the ticket but really, it doesn't help. He gave me a speeding ticket (60 miles per hour on a four lane freeway was the limit in case you were wondering.) complete with written instructions on how to mail in my check. I haven't had the courage to look inside to see how much it's gonna cost me yet. "Thank you officer." That's the oxymoron of a citizen just handed a speeding ticket.

George Carlin
I read some sad news today. George Carlin has passed away at 71. One of my childhood heroes, as I remember seeing him in short hair and a suit performing on the Ed Sullivan show. Then later as a counter culture spokesman during my teenage years.

I'll end today's blog with a quote from George: "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."

2 Comments:

Blogger Heidi R. said...

Bummer about the ticket! :( And George Carlin too...

I can't wait to hear about New Mexico... Great writing, BTW.

Only one more day and you'll be there... Enjoy the last day of driving!

Hugs!
Heidi

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us at PR!

The City of Wyoming PD has at least one Challenger too, although it does have the PD paint job on it. Freaked me out the first time I saw it. Sorry you got a ticket. 60 mph is the speed limit in Oklahoma?!?

Love the pictures! Keep them coming!

~Tammi @ PR

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home